Suffering from chronic constipation and looking for a natural remedy? You are lucky. I will tell you a sweet remedy to help you. Eat sweet potatoes. Yes, they are delicious and can relieve your constipation.
Sweet potatoes are one of the oldest vegetables known to our ancestors. They are easy to cultivate and store. They contain plenty of vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre.
Their high fibre content is the reason that I recommend them to prevent constipation. A medium size sweet potato weighing about 250 g contains 7.5 g of dietary fibre. That is a quarter of your daily requirement.
Some people think eating fibre-rich foods can cause indigestion and bloated tummy. That may be true for some foods such as beans and lentils. Sweet potatoes don’t cause those problems.
Sweet potatoes are easily digestible. They are suitable for people of all ages. You can give them to an eight-month-old baby, two-year-old toddler and 80-year-old grandma.
Sweet potatoes are also suitable for pregnant mothers.
How to use sweet potatoes for constipation
There are many ways to cook sweet potatoes. The easiest way is boiling. Cut them into big pieces and put them into a pan of boiling water. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Alternately, you can microwave them.
Boiled sweet potatoes are suitable to prevent constipation in babies.
I like baked sweet potato wedges. They are delicious. You can try them, I will tell you how to prepare.
Preheat the oven to 250 degree C. Cut the sweet potatoes into equal sized wedges. Melt some butter in a saucepan. Add the wedges and toss to combine. Spread them in a baking tray and sprinkle some salt and pepper. Put the wedges into the oven and bake for 20 -25 minutes.
Other health benefits of sweet potatoes
- They have large quantities of beta carotene. Our body can produce vitamin A from this beta carotene. In addition, beta-carotene is a powerful antioxidant. Some studies suggested eating foods high in beta-carotene can lower the risk of getting bowel cancer.
- They are a good source of vitamin C that help boost your immunity
- They contain large amounts of manganese
- The glycemic index of sweet potatoes is very low. So, people with diabetes can eat without any problem.
- They contain significant amounts of potassium, calcium, and iron.
Sweet potatoes are rich in dietary fibre that can help relieve constipation. They are cheap, readily available and easy to cook. Eating sweet potatoes and other fibre-rich foods is a natural way of preventing constipation.